3.01.2011

Bathroom Update

"Fun Sized" Bathroom
 The past several months, Vince and I have diligently been tackling several projects around the house. Perhaps that is why my blog has been neglected all these months.  :) Our bathroom has been an area that I have wanted to improve for quite some time. Let's talk about the issues.

1. Size.  Yes, size does matter.  Especially in a bathroom...our only bathroom. Vince and I have the same work schedule, so we must plan our mornings so that both of us have ample showering, teeth brushing, & grooming time. It is not uncommon for us to double up in the bathroom in order to make this arrangement work - Vince showers while I brush my teeth; I shower while Vince stares into the mirror at his cute face...etc.

2. Storage. In my opinion, storage is the most important "element" in the bathroom...of course after all of the basics are covered - toilet, shower, sink, lighting, mirror - CHECK!  We've got those!  Storage, not so much. There unfortunately isn't a linen closet in our bathroom...so no place for extra towels, tp, toiletries, etc. There is not enough floor space for a free-standing piece of furniture to house anything we wish to hide. And we are also lacking counter space as well...so not a lot of wiggle room to place toothbrushes, hand soap, & decorative items without overcrowding.

U-G-L-Y medicine cabinet.
 3. Color. I have no one to blame but myself on this one.  It was my decision to paint our tiny, tiny bathroom bold, bright, loud goldenrod. I don't have a problem with the color itself...actually I love the color.  The problem is the space + the color. What I didn't consider when picking this color (almost 4 years ago) were the fixed elements...floor, vanity, counter, toilet, shower. Our dark ceramic floors are made to look like slate...so lots of natural tones. Our solid surface countertops have a similar color story as the floor....speckles of beige & tans are grounded by a dark gray background. And obviously our toilet is bright, porcelain white....which goes right along with our shower/tub which is also white porcelain.  Our vanity is a dark, rich mahogany color....all of these elements just do not mesh well with the yellow. Lesson learned: consider the color & tone of fixed elements, or furniture before choosing a paint color. Start your palette with the colors & tones of the pieces that will not change...ie: flooring, a sofa, custom drapes, etc.


The Positives.
The fixed elements in our bathroom are actually pretty nice...we don't have a seafoam tile shower or a pink sink or a flat mirror with the bulbs across the top...Because if we did, this would be a much larger project.  I'm pretty set on my white towels & shower curtain...no need to purchase new items for a new scheme. The space is small, but it is efficient...everything works...everything is clean...and the fixed elements aren't offensive to look at. 

Stay-tuned for the updated photos...I'm thrilled with the results!  

Casey




No comments: